It’s that time of year when many people spend their winters in a warmer climate. Today’s electronic gadgets allow homeowners to “protect” their homes more easily by controlling lighting, security and thermostats remotely. Protecting your home from electrical mishaps, plumbing disasters, and fires while you’re gone is also important. Before you leave:
- Unplug anything possible to avoid electrical problems – washing machine, computer, etc.
- Ensure that all windows and doors are locked, including those leading into your garage.
- Turn off the internal water valve. It’s not unusual for homeowners to return to broken pipes, etc.
- If possible, install an automatic thermostat or one that can be controlled remotely.
- Arrange to have your sidewalks shoveled and driveway plowed during your absence to make your home look more lived in during your absence. You might ask a neighbor to occasionally park their vehicle in your driveway.
Enjoy your time away & arrive home to a well-protected home.