Safety First: CO Poisoning

It’s that time of year when we reach for the “heat” button on our thermostats.  Faulty heating appliances, gas ranges or fireplaces can cause carbon monoxide (CO) build-up indoors and lead to poisoning of both the people and animals who breathe it.  CO cannot be seen, tasted, nor smelled.  Symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, chest pain and/or irritability. 

To protect your family, install battery-operated or battery back-up CO detectors.  Have your heating system, other gas/oil/coal burning appliances, and chimney cleaned and serviced every year. 

Remember, if your CO alarm does sound, evacuate your home immediately and call 911.